Tuesday, July 14, 2009

the unbearable lightness of being

on the night my grandma was supposed to return (ie. the 7th day), a big brown butterfly flew into my second uncle's house and settled on the wall nearest to her big armchair. my cosin who was sitting on the chair freaked out and ran away, saying 'ah ma's come back!'. i marvelled slightly at the beauty of it all, and suddenly felt like i finally understood (or at least at peace with) the mysteries of afterlife and death.

my grandma went with a smile on her face; a smile that i had so seldom seen when she was alive. the suddenness of it all makes me feel like i havent felt her departure; it just seems like shes gone on a holiday, just as my aunt had said.

at least we know she's happy, forever;)

---
going back to singapore made me realise that i've changed (and so has she). coming back to london now made me realise that singapore is really my home. i do love my london room, i feel so much more at ease in this room than the room back home (sorry mum) but its a place i made my own; it isnt mine.

the good thing about singapore is that my appetite goes back to what it was - small, which i hope will help me lose that dreadful muffin top:(

2 comments:

Nabbie said...

ah so what's become of the backpacking trip? And I've heard about the moth before... interesting aye... :)

jiayun said...

backpacking trip became morocco minus norway;) but it was still fun!

id be back real soon so catch up then yeah! miss you;)